Browned Butter Banana Bread with Vanilla Bean Butter…that is a tongue-twister, isn’t it?! This is the best banana bread creation I’ve ever tasted. Browned butter should be considered a precious metal or something. How did we live so much of our lives not knowing how delicious it is?
This is not a light banana bread. It is so decadent from all of the butter; browned butter helps form the batter, then more gets drizzled on top after the bread is baked, AND THEN we will make a vanilla bean butter to serve with it. I mean, you can omit that part and still have an absolutely fantastic banana bread recipe, but why?
This bread stays incredibly moist from the butter, brown sugar, bananas and buttermilk while still managing to keep that ripe banana flavor, which sometimes gets lost in banana bread. Lightly spiced with cinnamon and nutmeg and with a crackly sugar crust from turbinado sugar (I seriously sprinkle this on so many baked goods), this bread is perfect. And best served slightly warm!
Happy Friday to you all! This week has flown by. I feel like I say that every week. Why does time have to move so fast…
I had the best week because I got to see a few of my besties that I don’t see nearly as often I want (minus one, you know who you are…can you move home already?). It reminds me how important having a group of friends that bring me comfort, happiness and laughter is to my soul. Oh and I also got to eat my favorite pizza.
I’m cheers-ing you all with a slice of banana bread.
Decadent banana bread flavored with browned butter and with a crackly sugar crust on top! Served with soft vanilla bean butter.
- 1-1/2 sticks (6 ounces) butter, melted and browned plus 2 tablespoons (1 ounce) butter, melted and brown (reserve)
- 2 cups (240 grams) all-purpose flour
- 1/2 cup (107 grams) light brown sugar
- 1/4 cup (43 grams) granulated sugar
- 1 teaspoon (6 grams) baking soda
- 3/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon freshly grated nutmeg
- Pinch of salt
- 1-1/4 cups (about 300 grams) mashed overripe banana
- 2 large eggs
- 1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- 1/3 cup buttermilk
- Turbinado sugar, for sprinkling
VANILLA BEAN BUTTER:
- 1 stick (1/2 cup) butter, at room temperature
- 1 tablespoon heavy cream
- 1 tablespoon granulated sugar
- 1 vanilla bean, split lengthwise and seeds scraped
- Splash of vanilla extract
- Pinch of salt
- Place a rack in the center of the oven and preheat to 350°. Grease or spray a 9 x 5-inch loaf pan. Set aside.
- In a large bowl, whisk together the flour, sugars, baking soda, cinnamon, nutmeg and salt.
- In a medium bowl, combine the mashed bananas and cooled brown butter, whisking to combine. Add the eggs, vanilla, buttermilk, whisking to fully combine.
- Add the wet ingredients to the dry ingredients all at once. Gently fold together just until the flour is incorporated. Spoon the batter into the prepared loaf pan and spread the top to even out. Generously sprinkle with turbinado sugar. Bake for 50 minutes to 1 hour, or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean. In the last 10 minutes of baking, spoon the reserved 2 tablespoons browned butter all over the top. Remove from the oven and let cool for 15 minutes in the pan. Remove and cool completely.
- For the vanilla bean butter: Combine all of the ingredients in a small bowl, stirring to fully incorporate. Serve at room temperature with the banana bread.