Buffalo cauliflower tacos with avocado overload from the crema and slaw are here to make all your vegetarian dinner dreams come true!
I’ve been consciously trying to eat less meat each week, both for health and sustainability reasons. I have this obsession with understanding how we will be able to sustain the population and continue to grow food and raise livestock. I’m weird, right? I can hear you now saying, yes yes you’re weird. These are the things I think about.
I saw these on one of my favorite food blogs, Pinch of Yum, where I regularly go for inspiration, especially for shockingly delicious vegetarian options. The cauliflower is buffalo-ized by coating in a batter and baking until the cauliflower is tender and the crust is crisp and golden, then tossed in generous amounts of your favorite hot sauce. Dare I say that they even look like boneless buffalo wings? People may not even know the difference unless you spill the beans.
Avocado crema does double duty both as a sauce and the dressing for the slaw, helping by adding a cooling factor to offset the spicy cauliflower. I added some rice wine vinegar and extra lime juice to the slaw because I love a vinegary bite to my slaws.
These were an instant hit when I made them, and quickly became one of the most talked about and requested meals in my house. Sadly, I rarely make the same recipes more than a few times because I’m always trying and testing new ones.
If you’re a cauliflower lover, a taco lover, a hot sauce/avocado lover and looking for a great vegetarian option, this is for you!
Crispy baked cauliflower tossed in your favorite hot sauce, then plopped onto a slaw-filled tortilla and topped with avocado crema! Even better, the crema does double duty as both the sauce for the tacos and the slaw.
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 cup whole milk
- 1/4 teaspoon garlic powder
- Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 1 head cauliflower, trimmed into bite-sized florets
- 3/4 cup hot sauce
- 2 avocados
- 1 garlic clove, coarsely chopped
- 1/4 cup sour cream
- 1/4 cup water
- Juice of 1 lime
- Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper, to taste
- 3/4 cup avocado crema
- 1 tablespoon rice wine vinegar
- Juice of 1 lime
- 2 big handfuls of slaw mix
- 2 to 3 green onions, thinly sliced
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh cilantro, plus additional for serving, if desired
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh flat-leaf parsley
- Taco-sized tortillas, to serve
- To prepare the buffalo cauliflower: Preheat the oven to 450°. Spray a large, parchment-lined baking sheet with nonstick cooking spray. Mix together the flour, milk, garlic powder, salt and pepper. Toss the cauliflower florets in the batter to completely coat. Transfer each piece of cauliflower to the prepared baking sheet in a single layer, allowing the excess batter to drip off. Bake for 20 to 25 minutes, until the cauliflower is crisped and lightly browned. Gently toss the cauliflower in a bowl with the hot sauce. Return to the baking sheet in a single layer and bake for another 5 minutes.
- For the avocado crema: Combine all of the ingredients in the bowl of a food processor and process until completely smooth.
- For the slaw: Place all of the slaw ingredients in a medium mixing bowl and toss to combine.
- To serve: Thin the avocado crema slightly if desired to make a more drizzleable sauce. Fill the tortillas with slaw and buffalo cauliflower and top with the avocado crema and more chopped fresh cilantro.
Inspiration: Buffalo Cauliflower Tacos with Avocado Crema on pinchofyum.com